The Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness Walk will take place from home in 2021. The end of lockdown is in sight, but there are still too many variables at play for us to return to our regular venue in Hyde Park. We are therefore adopting the same principal as last year.
Walk a total of 10 K, as many times as you like, on your own or with your family and pets, around your own home, garden or local area! The charity is encouraging as many people as possible to take part in this FREE 10 KM sponsored walk between Friday 1st October and Tuesday 30th November 2021. In order to attract the dental and medical professions we are holding the walk throughout Mouth Cancer Action Month.
The 16th annual walk, which is the only walk for mouth cancer anywhere in the world is designed to increase awareness of mouth and all head and neck cancers. It is also an opportunity to celebrate survivorship and raise funds to continue to support patients, carers and survivors coping with mouth cancer.
Taking part is easy!
- Register to take part via mouthcancerwalk.org/register This is important so we can send you your medal.
- Create a route, around your local area, with a total distance of 10 KM. This could be any combination such as 1 x 10 KM, 2 x 5 KM, 10 x 1 KM. The route can be done in one go, (10 KM is approximately 12500 steps and takes about one and a half to two hours to complete), or over several days.
- You can even set yourself challenges and do as many 10 KMs as you like over the duration of the event. Last year many people walked the distance to their favourite towns and cities…all over the world. Just a thought!
- Ideally this is a walk, but if you wish to run, walk backwards, hop, skip etc that is fine. The choice is yours! Just send us your photos and tag us in on social media – Instagram @mouthcancer, Facebook @mouthcancerfoundation and Twitter @mouthcancerMCF. Alternatively, you can email the information in to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use a free walking app to create your route. There are loads of free walking Apps to choose from such as Strava, Charity Miles, Map My Walk, Fitbit, Walk Meter, Foot Path Route Planner and Nike Run Club.
- Once you have completed your walk email us so we can post out your medal. Please note we can only send out medals to people who have completed the registration form.
- The highest fundraisers will receive a prize.
All walk activity should be adhering to the government’s social distancing policy at the time of taking part.
The walk is open to everyone, anywhere, including dogs/pets, of any age and ability. Sign up today and encourage all your friends, family and colleagues to do the same!