NATIONAL LOTTERY FUND
Earlier this month we received some amazing news that The National Lottery Community Fund is supportting us through Covid-19. This now means our 15th Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness Walk can still take place. Our Walk from Home is running from the 3rd October to the 30th of November, to include Mouth Cancer Action Month!
We are extremly grateful for the grant and endavour to make sure that patients and carers are getting the support they need during this current time.
The idea of this year’s Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness Walk is to stride a total of 10 K, as many times as you like, on your own or with your family and pets, around your own home, garden or local area!
To take part simply do the following:
• Create a route, around your local area, with a total distance of 10 KM. This could be any combination such as 1 x 10 KM, 2 x 5 KM, 10 x 1 KM. The route can be done in one go, (10 KM is approximately 12500 steps and takes about one and a half to two hours to complete), or over several days. You can even set yourself challenges and do as many 10 KMs as you like over the duration of the event. Ideally this is a walk, but if you wish to run, walk backwards, hop, skip etc that is fine. The choice is yours! Just send us your photos and tag us in on social media.
• Register via www.mouthcancerwalk.org/register. Complete the online application form so we can send you your virtual medal on completion of the Mouth Cancer 10KM Awareness Walk.
• Use a free walking app to create your route. There are loads of free walking Apps to choose from such as Strava, Charity Miles, Map My Walk, Fitbit, Walk Meter, Foot Path Route Planner and Nike Run Club.
• It is important that you use an app as we will need to see a copy of your completed route when you tag us in on social media. This will help form part of the proof of you doing your 10 K.
• Take photos of you and your family having fun walking and supporting us. If you have a mouth cancer foundation t shirt it would be great if you could wear it when taking your photos.
• Upload the following via your Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account:
• Evidence of your 10 KM route
• Photos of you and your family on your walk
• Any fundraising donation made via Virgin Money Giving or Just Giving
• Tag us in at Instagram @mouthcancer, Facebook @mouthcancerfoundation and Twitter @mouthcancerMCF and tag three friends to do the same. Alternatively, you can email the information in at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Once we receive your tag/email we will email out your medal.
• The highest fundraisers will receive a prize. Once we receive your donations, we will send out your certificate.
• The walk is open to everyone, including dogs/pets, of any age and ability.
• Encourage your friends, family, colleagues to sign up.
• Anyone who really challenges themselves and can prove they have done 10 KM on each of the 60 days of the event will receive an extra prize.
• All walk activity should be adhering to the governments social distancing policy at the time of taking part.