Mouth Cancer 10km Awareness Walk
3rd October 2020 to 30th November 2020
The Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness Walk 2020 will be bigger and better than ever. Historically, this annual event has been held in Hyde Park, London with people travelling from all over the country to take part. Given the pandemic, which has swept across the globe, events in 2020 are forced to take a different route…quite literally. This is a fantastic opportunity to open up the Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness Walk to more people than ever before so this year the Mouth Cancer Foundation is bringing the Mouth Cancer 10 KM Awareness Walk to you.
Walk a total of 10 KM, as many times as you like, on your own or with your family and pets, around the comfort of your own home, garden or local area! The charity is encouraging as many people as possible to take part in this FREE 10 KM sponsored walk between Saturday 3rd October and Monday 30th November 2020. This year we are holding the walk throughout Mouth Cancer Action Month to raise as much awareness as possible.
This is the 15th year of the annual walk, which is the only walk for mouth cancer anywhere in the world. It is designed to increase awareness of mouth and all head and neck cancers. It is also an opportunity to celebrate survivorship and raise funds to continue to support patients, carers and survivors coping with mouth cancer.
To participate please register online by completing the form as soon as possible so that we can send you further information in time for the event.
- Create a route, around your local area, with a total distance of 10 KM. This could be any combination such as 1 x 10 KM, 2 x 5 KM, 10 x 1 KM. The route can be done in one go, (10 KM is approximately 12500 steps and takes about one and a half to two hours to complete), or over several days. You can even set yourself challenges and do as many 10 KMs as you like over the duration of the event. Ideally this is a walk, but if you wish to run, walk backwards, hop, skip etc that is fine. The choice is yours! Just send us your photos and tag us in on social media.
- Register via www.mouthcancerwalk.org/register. Complete the online application form so we can send you your virtual medal on completion of the Mouth Cancer 10KM Awareness Walk.
- Use a free walking app to create your route. There are loads of free walking Apps to choose from such as Strava, Charity Miles, Map My Walk, Fitbit, Walk Meter, Foot Path Route Planner and Nike Run Club.
- It is important that you use an app as we will need to see a copy of your completed route when you tag us in on social media. This will help form part of the proof of you doing your 10 K.
- Take photos of you and your family having fun walking and supporting us.
- Upload the following via your Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account:
- Evidence of your 10 KM route
- Photos of you and your family on your walk
- Any fundraising donation made via Virgin Money Giving or Just Giving
- Tag us in at Instagram @mouthcancer, Facebook @mouthcancerfoundation and Twitter @mouthcancerMCF and tag three friends to do the same. Alternatively, you can email the information in at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once we receive your tag/email we will email out your medal.
- The highest fundraisers will receive a prize. Once we receive your donations, we will send out your certificate. See our fundraising page for further information.
- The walk is open to everyone, including dogs/pets, of any age and ability.
- Encourage your friends, family, colleagues to sign up. Try and encourage a neighbour to do their bit and post a Mouth Cancer Foundation poster downloaded here, through their door.
- Anyone who really challenges themselves and can prove they have done 10 KM on each of the 60 days of the event will receive an extra prize.
- All walk activity should be adhering to the governments social distancing policy at the time of taking part.